Which Are The Three Main Types Of Lawn Mowers In The Market Today?
Lawnmowers undoubtedly are one of the most important tools for caring for different types of manicured landscapes, lawns included. There are three main types of lawn mowers available in the market for your selection. These are cylinder, hover and rotary lawn mowers. But before settling for any of these lawn mowers, there are two main factors that need to be considered. These include:
• The size of your garden: The size of your garden needs to be put into consideration before purchasing a lawn mower, the type notwithstanding. As a general rule of the thumb, go for an electric or manual propelled mower if your garden is small to medium sized, and if large, petrol driven.
• Garden or lawn configuration: Large flat areas of a lawn should be mowed by a cylinder lawn mower as it gives the cleanest cut. Gardens with awkward configuration and tight corners will greatly benefit from mowers that are easy to manoeuvre, for example the hover mower. The recommended general purpose lawn mower for all garden types is the rotary lawn mower.
Now let’s look at the three main types of lawn mowers in the market you can opt for.
Cylinder lawn mowers
This is the first type of a lawn mower to be invented and is mostly hand driven. They come with a series of blades that are fixed around a horizontal shaft that spins at high speeds to cut through the grass. A typical cylinder lawn mower comes with 5 or 6 adjustable blades that can be set very low to the ground to achieve a very fine cut.
The three types of available cylinder mowers in the market today are the petrol driven, electric propelled and the cheaply priced hand propelled varieties.
Invented in 1964, the hover mower comes with a single blade that rotates at incredibly high speeds that lift it on a cushion of air. This same blade also does the cutting work. The main advantages of hover mower include:
• They are easy to manoeuvre due to the floating effect of the blade, making them the machine of choice for uneven and difficultly configured lawns.
• It is an excellent machine for cutting long and wet grass
There are two types of hover mowers – the petrol driven and electric powered types.
Rotary lawn mowers
These types of lawn mowers cut through the grass using horizontal rotating blades and are the perfect general purpose lawn maintenance machines. Simply put, rotary lawn mowers are perfect for dealing with bumpy, uneven ground conditions and will cut through the longest of the grass. They also cope very well with rough tuff compared to the best of the cylinder mowers. And because their blades are supported above the lawn by adjustable wheels, they can be adjusted to a given height to suit different cutting requirements, resulting in perfect clean cuts for a tidy finish. When a rear roller is added, it is a striped lawn effect is achieved. These lawn mowers are the cheapest among the three, making them very popular with gardeners around the country.
Note that rotary mowers are either electric powered to suit small gardens or petrol powered for larger lawns maintenance.This entry was posted in Uncategorized | .
- Summer Gardening Tips!
- What to do With Your Lawn Clippings?
- How To Make Your Lawn Mower Last Longer
- Changing Your Lawn Mower Engine Oil?
- Top 4 Lawn And Hedge Maintenance Tools
- November 2018
- August 2018
- April 2017
- August 2016
- July 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015